Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Firefox 3.5 on Kubuntu 9.04


I was using Firefox 3.0 this morning and decided to upgrade to Firefox 3.5. I'm running Kubuntu 9.04. I did a normal Firefox 3.5 package installation via KPackageKit. Everything were installed fine but when I launched a firefox, it still showing Firefox 3.0.

I opened up a console and excuted "which firefox" command. It shows that the firefox I was using is in "/usr/bin/firefox". After a few minutes of tinkering my Kubuntu, I found that to launch Firefox 3.5, the executable is in "/usr/bin/firefox-3.5".

I'm not sure the reason why Firefox 3.5 didn't replace Firefox 3.0 during installation. I can only guessed it has not gone into official Ubuntu supported package or something like that.

Anyway, hopefully the information can help you if you encounter the same situation with me. Cheers!