Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Eclipse IDE


For those who are engineers or programmers and looking for IDE for your development, look no further. Use Eclipse. It's an open platform written in Java but suitable for any programming languages. If you understand Java, you can add your own application/plug-in into Eclipse. Hence, it is still useful eventhough you are not an engineer. Give it a try.

I've been using it since a couple of years back and haven't found any replacement that can compete with it. Few main reasons I choose to use it: FREE, plenty of features via plug-in and supports multiple programming languages in one IDE.

I'm an Embedded System Engineer and found Eclipse allows me to cross-compile an application into my embedded system (ARM, PIC, FreeScale, TSTIK, Tiny) and quickly switch the development environment for PC application in the same IDE. This greatly reduce my time to develop complete system from Embedded System to High End Application without having to use several IDEs.